Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Cute Fall/Winter Leg Warmers: Made from the sleeves of an old sweater!

Time for my first non-crochet post!!

For a while now, I've been wanting a cute pair of leg warmers to wear with my boots this fall/winter. At first, I considered knitting a pair from start to finish but due to all the other projects I have going on (11 foot knitted scarf among others) I just don't have the time and I am far too impatient to wear them. So while I was going through my closet I came across this old sweater. While it is still in great condition, I just don't wear it as much anymore and decided it would go to far better use as my new leg warmers.


 One of the main tools you are going to need (aside from scissors and your sewing machine) is a seam ripper.

 Turn you sweater inside-out and located the shoulder seam. If you are working with a tight-knit sweater, it may be possible to just cut your shoulder seam. In my case, this sweater was rather loose-knit. It may be difficult to find the seam thread, but if you can, you will be able to handle the sleeve with less unraveling.

 Carefully remove both sleeves from the sweater.

 Depending on the size of your sleeves and the style of leg warmers you want, you may have to cut down the length of the sleeve. You can't see it in this photo but before cutting, I used my sewing machine and stitched down the length of the sleeve before cutting so there was no unraveling as I cut of the unwanted material.

 Cut the end of the sleeve off where it starts to curve.

 Carefully fold over cut end making sure you line up the seams. Sew around the opening to create a hem. Make sure you do not pull the sleeve as you go because you don't want to stretch out the end of your legwarmer.
This is the finished product. I wanted mine more fitted. If you want a loose style, leave the extra fabric on instead of cutting along the length of the sleeve.

I hope you find this project as easy and fun as I did. I love how these turned out and I can't wait to wear them with my boots.

Also, don't worry about the rest of this nice sweater going to waste. I'm thinking a pair of mittens and some sort of ear-warmer/scarf are in the works for this sweater as well. So look for those projects in the near future.

Stormi

1 comment:

  1. Make a matching hat, search "no sew hat from old sweater" lots of instructions out there.

    ReplyDelete