Monday, October 8, 2012

Flower Winter Headband/Ear-warmer


Flower Ear-Warmer Headband


(More photos follow at the end of the post.)

Introduction
This is a pattern I made based on a Pinterest pin. I'm not sure where the original pattern came from because the link was broken when I clicked on it. I fell in love with this headband/ear-warmer as soon as I saw it and had to come up with a pattern of my own for it. I'm not sure how accurate this is to the original pattern, but it looks very much like the Pinterest photo I was working off of. Once I got the pattern down, it only took me 1 to 1 1/2 hours to finish this headband so it is a pretty quick and easy pattern.

Materials List
Any worsted weight yarn (I used acrylic yarn for the one in the photo, but this pattern would work great with cotton or wool as well.)
USA G-4.25 mm hook
Yarn needle

Headband
Ch 4
Row 1: sc in 2nd ch and across, ch 1, turn
Row 2: 2 sc in 1st st, sc 1, 2 sc in last ch, ch 1, turn
Row 3: sc across, ch 1, turn
Row 4: 2 sc in 1st st, sc to next to last st, 2 sc in last st, ch 1, turn
Repeat Rows 3 and 4 until you have 13 stitches.

Pattern Row: 
dc in first stitch, *skip 1 stitch, work (sc, dc) in next stitch; repeat from * until there are two stitches remaining. skip 1 stitch, sc in the turning chain of the previous row, ch 1, turn

Work pattern row until it reaches approximately 12 inches** from the start of the pattern (do not count the sc).

**If you need to adjust the pattern to fit your head better or to fit the head of a child change the length of pattern rows you do. If you need the headband to be larger, work for an additional inch or two. If you need to shorten the headband, work the pattern for fewer inches.

Row 1: Sc 2 tog, sc to last 2 st, sc 2 tog, ch 1, turn
Row 2: sc across, ch 1, turn
Repeat  rows 1 and 2 until you have 3 stitches remaining.
Ch 1, Turn, sc across for 3 additional rows.

Sc around headband, with 2 sc in corner stitches. When you reach the first end, sc in the first st, ch 5, sc in 3rd st and continue around making sure you sc twice in each corner. Join with sl st and fasten off.
Attach button to top side of other end. Use yarn needle to weave in ends.

Flower
 ch 5; join with a slip st to form ring.
Round 1: Ch 5 (counts as dc and ch-2), [dc, ch 2] 5 times in ring; join to 3rd ch.
Round 2: Ch 1, (sc, hdc, dc, tr, dc, hdc, sc) in each ch-2 space around – 6 petals.
Round 3: Holding Round 2 forward, * sc in dc from Round 1, ch 3; repeat from * around; join.
Round 4: Ch 1, (sc, hdc, dc, 3 tr, dc, hdc, sc) in each ch-3 space around – 6 petals.
Round 5: Holding Round 4 forward, * sc in sc from Round 3, ch 4; repeat from * around; join.
Round 6: Ch 1, (sc, hdc, dc, 5 tr, dc, hdc, sc) in each ch-4 space around – 6 petals. Fasten off.

Position flower where you want it on the headband. (I prefer how it looks off to one side. ) Using your crochet hook, pull a length of yarn through so one end is through the front of the head band and the other through the back. Using the end  through the front, insert the end up (back to front) through the center circle of the flower, pull it back down through one of the ch 2 spaces and back up through the center circle, then insert the end through the ch 2 space directly across from the one you put it through before and down through the headband. Tie the two ends together and use yarn needle to weave in the ends.

Have fun with this one. I hope you love it as much as I do and if you share this, please link back to my blog.
Happy Crocheting!
Stormi
(Up-close shot of the stitch pattern)

(Picture of the back of the headband)

 (This is the pattern size on my daughter. I'm going to make one to fit her. I think I will make the "patterned" section of her's about 9 inches instead of 12 so it fits her head better.)
 (Side view of the pattern size headband on my daughter.)


No comments:

Post a Comment